Thursday, August 1, 2013

As for Amanda Bynes, I'm glad she's getting help whether she wants it or not before it's too late. What say you?


I've grown a little weary of all the talk about what's been going on with Amanda Bynes for the past several months. As a person who battles clinical depression myself and as a friend and family member of people with various behavioral health issues I feel her pain as well as the pain of her loved ones. All the stupid talk, jokes and "bullcrap" as the the author of the article below so eloquently put it is a symptom of a much bigger problem in the United States. That huge problem is our ignorance, lack of understanding and lack of care about mental illness. Rick Warren, pastor and author of The Purpose Driven Life recently spoke out about the stigma related to mental illness in his first sermon since his son's suicide four months ago. We need to definitely work hard to change how mental illness is viewed so that we can improve our track record of treating behavioral health issues. Currently, that treatment track record is piss poor. 

 

I’m Calling Bullcrap On Nick Cannon’s Open Letter To Amanda Bynes

Nick Cannon attending America's Got Talent red carpet July 2013Well hello there, Nick Cannon, welcome to the conversation about Amanda Bynes. It’s strange to see you back here so soon, and on the other side of room. It seems like just the other day you were speaking out to the media, telling us you’d spoken to Amanda and she seemed A-OK, and now you’re ready to offer an entirely new opinion saying exactly the opposite. Isn’t that fun?
Nick and Amanda were co-stars on the show All That back in the day, and since Amanda’s mental breakdown was so public, this sharing of TV air time qualified him to offer a very medical opinion about how she was doing, referring to her meltdown as ‘growing pains’. Which is pretty optimistic for something that’s being referred to as severe mental illness with signs of schizophrenia, dontcha think? But anyway, I’m ready for a new opinion, now that the tide of public opinion has changed, aren’t you?
Now that Amanda has been placed under a 5250 hold, meaning she’s involuntarily hospitalized for two weeks in order to undergo mental evaluation, Nick has released an open letter to Amanda, whom he refers to as, ‘someone I consider family, someone I watched grow up, and someone I genuinely feel is one of the most pleasant human beings I have had the pleasure of meeting.’ He says he didn’t originally answer questions about Amanda, but:
“Sometimes I would answer in a playful humorous manner and sometimes I would brush it off as another Pop culture topic that a reporter was trying to retrieve a sound bite for. [...] After recent events of Amanda being admitted under psychiatric care and reported as 5150, I see this as no laughing matter.”
Up until now it was hilarious. And he has words he wants to go out directly to Amanda, as well, saying ON HIS PERSONAL BLOG WHERE SHE CANNOT READ IT BECAUSE SHE’S IN THE HOSPITAL:
“So I say to my sister Amanda Bynes you’re not alone. I’m here for you. I understand. I care and I appreciate you, because that’s what family does and that’s what family is for… I’m here! Call me! Because I truly believe, the hand you’re helping up today may be the one you’re reaching for tomorrow.”
Please! Call me! I’d love to do more interviews, but the press doesn’t want to hear about ‘dem babies’ forever, and Mariah Carey only lets me make two phone calls a week.
(Image: Dennis Van Tine / Future Image / WENN.com)
 http://www.crushable.com/2013/08/01/entertainment/nick-cannon-amanda-bynes-open-letter/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nick-cannon-amanda-bynes-open-letter


Read more: http://www.crushable.com/2013/08/01/entertainment/nick-cannon-amanda-bynes-open-letter/#ixzz2ajXk7e2G

No comments:

Post a Comment